General Mills Foundation
We reached a milestone in fiscal 2013 and 2014, donating more than $150 million each year. That's nearly $3 million a week.
Today, more than 60 years after our Foundation was officially formed, our commitment to our communities remains unwavering. Since 1954, we have fueled more than half a billion dollars in support to nonprofit organizations in our communities.
Brand philanthropy and corporate contributions represent the largest share of our giving.
This slice includes the company’s popular and well-known cause-marketing programs such as Box Tops for Education (which supports K-8 schools in the U.S.), Yoplait Friends in the Fight (which supports breast cancer research and education), Cheerios Cheer on Reading (which supports literacy programs) and many others.
Foundation grants cover the nearly $27 million donated by the General Mills Foundation to nourish communities by supporting:
- Hunger and nutrition wellness initiatives such as Champions for Healthy Kids, a program to support organizations that promote healthy, active lifestyles in children
- Education programs such as Admission Possible, which helps talented low-income students get into college by helping them prepare for college admission
Product donations refers to the $46 million in food the company donated to Feeding America, and The Global Food Banking Network to help nourish hungry children and families.
Whether through simple community breakfasts in North Minneapolis, or complex food science collaboratives in Africa, our Foundation recognizes the great opportunity and responsibility we have to unleash the power of food to nourish lives of families around the world.
Closer to home, the General Mills Foundation provides financial support to non-profit partners in its headquarters community of Minneapolis/St. Paul in the following areas:
Hunger and nutrition wellness
Food, and the role it plays in nourishing lives, has been central to General Mills’ business since the company was founded in the 1860’s with two flour mills.
As the company has grown in its commercial, technical, and civic influence, so has our Foundation's resolve to apply what we know and do best to advance the kinds of change the world needs most.
Recognizing the spectrum of social change that food is able to advance for families across the world, our Foundation supports initiatives across four stages of impact:
- Hunger: Providing food to those in need
- Technology: Developing and sharing food solutions
- Nutrition: Helping families make nutritious food choices
- Fitness: Integrating food with healthy, active lifestyles
Early Childhood Education
The General Mills Foundation partners with the employees and brands of General Mills to support K-12 educational efforts in the domestic U.S. communities in which General Mills operates, particularly in our headquarters community with Minneapolis public schools. Our Foundation prioritizes efforts in three areas that best leverage our financial, intellectual and creative resources:
- School leadership: Recognizing the need and return on effective teacher and administrator training and development
- Lay leadership: Complementing the classroom experience with proven strategies that keep parenting and caring adults engaged in a child’s lifelong educational success
- Student advancement: Partnering with established and emerging organizations that provide secondary education pathways and scholarships to at-risk students